Life Verse

2 Timothy 1:7 "for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." (ESV)

Friday, July 20, 2012

IVLI in a Nutshell

This note I made after I came back from InterVarsity Leadership Institute back in July 2009.  This is one of the key points in my life that God used to lead me and grow me towards going into ministry.

This had to be one of the greatest and most transformative months of my life. All I know is God really brought me out of my shell. I did things I never thought I could. For starters, I actually went away for a month. I knew absolutely no one and was far from home. But God has created what I am sure are going to be lasting friendships. I went out and did contact evangelism. I've NEVER done anything close to that before but God showed me if I take risks for Him I don't need to fear. I went kayaking. That might not seem like much but I've never done it before. I learned how to swing dance. Never imaged that I would ever be able to perform the simplest step and now I can do the arm bar, belt slide, and inside turn :D. I would never open up to people but I became vulnerable and shared my feelings.

God really used this month to grow me. I learned that I have exousia over the devil's dutamis. I can control my fears. I learned that a life without risk, is a life that isn't trusting God. I learned that if I put it all in God's hands everything will work out. All of my confidence comes from God and that is why I can go out and do His will. I learned that failure isn't always failure, especially when it comes to evangelism. They aren't rejecting me but Jesus and whatever I say was a seed planted. I have come back a new person. God is revealing to me who I could be and should be, and slowly He is bringing that person out into the open. He showed me that I have a voice and what I am thinking matters. So I have to start being a leader and start taking some risks and start stepping it up.

And the friends I made are so amazing!!! I thank God for each and every person He brought to IVLI, especially my family :). You guys are so awesome and God is going to really bless you and use you to bless others (He already used you to bless me). Thanks for being my big brothers and big sisters; I've never been the youngest before. I'll never forget all the time we spent together (volleyball, kayaking, Narnia, Ice cream, thrift store, cards, Taboo, the Quest for the Sea Porcupine, long talks, prayers, campfires, and so much more). I really consider you my family now. You have all been an influence on my life and I appreciate what you have added to it
But every single person at IVLI was a blessing to me and I am so glad to have been able to meet all of you :D. I pray that we will meet again (Urbana??) and that God will continue work in you.

I learned so much and I am so eager to start living my life full of it. It’s a new me and I am so happy I went to IVLI. But now it is time to start taking the steps to keeping this change in my life, a part of my life. Praise God for this new life and I pray for the strength to continue on the path.

No comments:

Post a Comment